Although the artist of this sculpture remains unknown, the gallery does know that this work was obtained from Italy by successful Woodstock businessman John White (1882-1962), and his wife Mrs. W. K. White, whom donated the sculpture to the Woodstock Museum prior to 1956. The building the WAG currently resides in use to be part of John White’s good store. Once the Woodstock Art Gallery was established in 1966, the piece was accessioned into the collection. The sculpture represents a classical Greek scene of the goddess Ariadne being spurned by Theseus after she was invited to the island of Naxos by the god Bacchus. When she returns home she is sent back by Bacchus wearing a wreath of grape leaves on her head and on the back of a panther. This was a popular scene for artistic representation and inspiration in the 19th century, by those who appreciated and had knowledge of classical mythology.